Sunday, March 16, 2014

Here it is TIERED INSTRUCTION

One of my favorite ways to tier or differentiate my mini lessons is to tier my activity after my mini lesson. Now, yes it is A LOT of work but well worth it and it is a meaningful task. Later, I will get more into more detail about tiered instruction but I wanted to share an activity I just created with my followers to show everyone how much fun it is.  Also, it is a winter activity so if you want to use it you may need to hurry up or save it for next year!

So... The idea came from another blogger that I love and I started with her ideas and my class just needed some more differentiation so if what I made doesn't fit your class check out Fabulous In First and her pack on TPT for more ideas for The Snowy Day.

After we read the book a few times we were ready to discuss setting. We had talked about what setting was and I had given my students a pre assessment on a previous lesson the week before so I knew who needs what task. I usually design my tasks based on how the students perform on the pre assessments.

When I go over my task I usually do it whole group and then send off each group to a different area of the classroom. Depending on the task and the support in the classroom I may or may not have the students working together. I usually float around working with each group making sure they are doing the tasks correctly. Then at the end I will call everyone back to the rug and go over the task.  Many times I will have another type of assessment.

Tier 1 Students write and draw the beginning, middle and end of the story

Tier 2 Students get the pictures from the story to help them write the beginning, middle and end

Tier 3 Students get the words and pictures to help them sequence the story

I have also included a blank lesson plan template that I use for my tiered lesson plans.  Please ask any question you have about this topic. I love sharing what I have and am very passionate about differentiation!



No comments:

Post a Comment